Wednesday, February 17, 2010


I am going to try to make this story as short as possible. It was the most scary moment of my life. And I hope NO ONE has to ever go through this EVER

On Feb 10, 2010 (I remember because it was my moms birthday) my world fell apart.
Madison and Rylee were outside playing with the dogs on the swing set. Much like they do EVERY DAY! I was inside tending to Abigail because she was hungry and tired. I was getting her bottle ready when Jojo (our German Shepard) barked. It wasn't a bark I have ever heard but honestly didn't think to much of it. It was a startling bark though and I did look outside. As I looked out the window I saw Madison with this look on her face of fear. I though Jojo had caught another animal. This must have been when I put Abby in her swing because I don't remember actually putting her down. BUT she was in the swing. thank goodness :) I walk out the door and ask Madison what was wrong. She didn't say anything but I could tell something wasn't right. And plus Jojo was still Barking like crazy! And eating something. (I found out what the next night by the way) So Madison looked at me then back at Jojo and screamed as loud as she could while she pointed to Jojo. Still I thought she caught an animal. Not thinking anything of it I started to walk that way and called "Jojo". she looked at me and as soon as she did I saw Rylee's feet. and arm. My heart sank in my chest. I knew at that moment something wasn't right. I ran over there and as I got closer Jojo finally moved and I saw Rylee's face Blue and she was not moving. She was just hanging there. From what I got from Madison once we were in the car was that they were playing with a Jump rope and climbing up the slide with it. It was tied to the top bar on the top of the slide. Rylee had it hanging on her shoulder and ended up falling down and went down the slide with the rope around her neck. And that is when I saw her. So now back to what happened. I pushed her up on the slide and the rope just fell off (I will also explain why this was at the end because at this moment it didn't dawn on me what had happened). I laid her on the ground and looked down her chest. She was in fact not breathing. So I did what I needed to and breathed into my precious child one good breath. Again I looked down her chest. Still NOTHING. Still BLUE. I began to panic. Again I breathed for her and in the middle of my second breath she moved. I felt her try to cough. I backed up and surely she coughed and I am pretty sure threw up. Not positive because I did have a dog right there watching my every move. (Also Madison ended up telling me later on that Buster was with her on the ground during this whole ordeal. Which was funny because I didn't even think about where the dog or Madison was but again more on that at the end) She finally came too and was crying and I picked her up and ran inside. I put her sitting on the basket of blankets by the garage door while I put the other two in the car. I grabbed Abigail and Madison and Madison buckled herself and Abby up. Such a BIG Girl! I then proceeded to put Rylee in the car. She was calmer now and wasn't crying. I buckled her up and got in the car. I was headed to the nearest doctor I could find which happened to be at the Lake After Hours about 12 minutes away :) And my In-laws live right there so I called my FIL who was at home and told him I was dropping the oldest and littlest off and I needed to get to the DR. My heart was pounding and I knew she was going to be ok. She started to get color back in her face and even though she was pale I knew it was better than blue. And she even smiled at me at one point. I dropped them off and headed to the LAH right there. Of course I knew I needed to go to ER but I also knew my nerves were not going to allow me to drive my child all the way over there (at least 30 min away). And no it never crossed my mind to call 911. It never dawned on me. So I get to the LAH and they checked her oxygen levels and it was a little low but not bad at all. I thought it was 97 BUT from what the nurse said that when they called to tell them that we were coming her O2 level was 95. Sooo in was somewhere in there! But either way it was still GREAT! They told us to head over to the Lake for her to be examined even more. So we head there. Took LOTS of different test and ended up staying overnight. It was nice though. She enjoyed all the attention and won the hearts of EVERYONE who worked in the hospital! Especially her nurses and doctors. They were great!
So all in all my baby girl is ok. A very tragic accident that turned into a pure miracle. It still amazes me the strength that I had to get through it and not to mention the strength Madison showed along with both dogs.
Now to go back to a couple of points!

The rope--Come to find out the night we got home that Jojo was actually Eating the rope to get it off of her neck. It was almost completely torn and I think if I would have been just 3o seconds later, if that, Jojo would have had her completely free off the rope. Such a great dog! It still amazes me what she did to warn me that something was happening.

Now Buster--I never even thought to see where Buster was. Never dawned on me until yesterday actually! I did see Buster with Jojo when I first asked Madison what was going on. And then after that had no memory of Buster. Come to find out Buster was sitting on the ground with Madison. Madison told me that Buster was taking care of her while Jojo and I were with Rylee. Madison said that She was hugging Buster the whole time. And he just sat there. That is SOO not like my hyper doggies! But I am soo thankful to him that he did that for her. I am sure it was because of him that she calmed down. And I am so glad that he took care of her while I was with Rylee. So Buster you are DEFIANTLY a hero to me also!!

Rylee is doing soo much better now. Still not sleeping great and nervous to go outside without me or Jojo but is getting better. She is coughing but not too bad. At night it is pretty rough but I think she is just scared. But with every day she is doing soo much better. I just know that God was on our side that day and worked through Madison, Jojo, Buster and me to make sure we kept Rylee safe. And although it was the hardest thing I have EVER done I know it made me stronger. It made me appreciate my dogs and my daughters strength along with mine. I never expected that I would be able to do the things I did but now it gave me some peace of mind knowing that if HEAVEN FORBID something happened to one of my girls again or my Husband I know I would be able to get it done and help them as much as I can. Now don't get me wrong. I freaked out BIG TIME! But not until I realized she was ok. And that is when it hit me how severe this really was.
And I have some GREAT friends that prayed for Rylee along with all of our family and workers at Our Lady of the Lake. Everything happens for a reason and I know my baby girls are truly wonderful :) ALL THREE! Even Ms Abigail and her cute smiles when I kept flipping out in the car. Every time I cried I would hear her giggle and it calmed me so very much!

this is Rylee about an hour before we got to go home. My mom got her phone out and took a picture of it! She was sooo cute and having so Much fun :) All the nurses and everyone kept bringing her colors and blocks and puzzles. It made her feel soo much better! Here she is showing off her "bracelet" like mommy and her IV! Oh and I totally forgot to mention her IV. when they came in to give her that we had her held down and she freaked out. She was scared of being held down. She wanted to see! So I let her up and she watched the WHOLE thing and never even cried. She even saw all her blood coming out and it never phased her. She had such strength!!! And was soo proud of her IV pole or as she called it "her friend"! She loved pushing it around! LOL


Michelle said...

I'm just sitting here in tears. I cannot even imagine the terror you had, as a mom, watching and experiencing this with your daughter. God really was watching over your entire family. From one sweet puppy taking care of one daughter to the other sweet puppy taking care of the other. That really is amazing. I mean, really amazing that both dogs were looking out for your girls! And your strength, even through the fear, to act appropriately and BREATH for your daughter, you are absolutely amazing. AMAZING!

I'm so glad that everyone's prayers were lifted up to God and Rylee is okay. I know there were a LOT of people praying for her that night. Thank God for her being okay during this awfully scary day.

Heather said...

thanks Michelle :) It was truly amazing. I am soo thankful she is ok. And I am soo greatful to ALL my puppies and ALL my kiddos! Each person did their part in making this all work out. Even colin!! Being a million miles away he calmed me and helped Rylee by talking to her the entire time. She loved having her daddy on the phone so often!

Amanda said...

She's definitely going to be a doctor. :) I didn't read the whole story again because I don't feel like crying right now, but it is an amazing one!

Heather said...

Yep! She tells everyone she wants to be a dr like the man with the black hair!! LOL! He was the dr that got her to walk and talk and made her start feeling better :) She told me mommy I think I love him :)!!! HAHAHA